Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Other Voices, Part 8 (continued)

As I said in yesterday's post, Love's The Red Telephone was referenced in The Bonzo Dog Band's song, We Are Normal.  Listen to the song on Youtube at:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZXI9RJSgok .  The relevant lyrics are:

          Well, it's ah, it's not for me to deter really, is it?
          I mean, it's for a psychiatrist to deter these things, isn't it?
                       -   -   -   -
          I don't know, it's just not like normal people do.
          You're not running around in your underpants, are you?  [See Lime Street lyrics below.]
                        -   -   -   -
          We are normal                        [Referencing The
          And we want our freedom.      Red
          We are normal                         Telephone
          And we want our freedom.      lyrics]

In my post, Other Voices, Part 7, I talked about the backmasked references to Paul in Procol Harum's single of May, 1967, A Whiter Shade of Pale.  The flipside of the single had a song called Lime Street Blues.  Listen to the song at:  http:// www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUqaieKiELc
Here are the lyrics:
     Lime Street in the afternoon.
     I'm running around in my underpants [The lyrics of We Are Normal, in the first person]
     Trying to find some kinda romance.

     Quarter past three on Lime Street.
     I got whipped right offa my feet.
     Didn't realized that I'd been caught
     'Til I found myself in the county court.

     'Mr. Judge,' I said, 'Won't you please be kind?
     Have pity on me, a poor orphan child?'
     'Orphan or not, you're going down!'

     Well, I screamed on my knees in the witness box,
     'Lord have mercy on my golden locks.'
     The judge, I could see that he was snide.
     He says, 'The only kind of blonde you are's a peroxide!'

     Oh Lime Street, Lime Street
     Lime Street, that's where we meet.

I think the three songs were about Paul, with definite hints about Paul's background, what he may have been accused of, and what was done to him.

My next post will be about what can be pieced together about OUR Paul.  He wasn't Paul McCartney and he's not the man calling himself Paul McCartney today.       ---paulumbo

No comments: