Thursday, June 14, 2012

Other Voices, Part 7: A Whiter Shade of Pale

This post was going to be about the only American song I found with what I believe are reversed (and forward) references to our Paul.  The song is the American group Love's The Red Telephone and I'll get to that song in the next post.

I have been reading the 2010 book, Beatlemania! The Real Story of The Beatles UK Tour 1963-1965 by Martin Creasy.  Of course, it is not the real story because it fails to mention that both the real Paul and John were replaced in late 1963 (by our Paul and John), but I did find several interesting bits of information that I'll comment on in future posts.

Creasy talks about the other singers and musicians that toured with The Beatles.  One group was The Paramounts.  The Paramounts toured with The Beatles on their sixth and final UK tour, December 3-December 12, 1965.  In 1966 (or 1967 depending on the source) Gary Brooker of the group founded another group, Procol Harum with his friend Keith Reid.  The group's first single, A Whiter Shade of Pale was released on May 12, 1967, and it has several pointed backmasked references to Paul.

The reversed references:

0:06-0:09 - Paulie was
0:36-0:41 - Everybody heard I was hurt
0:55-0:57 - Yeah, Yeah, Yeah
0:58-1:01 - Paulie was
1:17-1:18 - A Beatle
2:20-2:24 - Everybody heard I was hurt
2:41-2:45 - Paulie was I

The evidence I've found on consistent and widespread backmasking by British groups shows that The Beatles were not carrying on a hoax commenting on serious problems in Paul's life, and--because the references are so widespread over many British groups--there was alot of knowledge out there in bits and pieces and a large cover-up that is still going on.  The truth needs to be told.

No comments: