Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Other Pauls in America, 1966: The Bob Bonis Collection

At the Not Fade Away Gallery website, http://www.nfagallery.com/ , take a look at the Paul photos taken by Bob Bonis who was the US tour manager for The Beatles on all three US tours.  The photos were part of an exhibition, The British Are Coming!, which was shown at the gallery from March 3-May 17, 2009.

Under catalog search at the left of the website, click photographs, then click Paul McCartney in the drop-down menu.  There are 13 photos.  As a point of comparison, photos 3 and 12 are of Paul--the REAL Paul--in 1964.  When you look at photos 2, 6, 7, 8, and 10 from 1966, there are subtle and not-so-subtle differences in how Paul looks.  The #9 photo (a coincidence?) is a doctored photo of Paul with a massive chin and a comment on how walrus-like Paul looks.  Take a look.

There has been speculation in the Paul replaced/Paul dead groups as to whether Paul even made it to America in 1966.  If you go just by these selected photos by Bonis, the answer would be no.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Bon Bonis collection now shows more than 13 photos for Dec.7th, 2010. Which photo shows the large chin? I see one that is looks like the 1967 version of Paul.

paulumbo said...

It's on page 2, the 7th. photo down (Paul McCartney Memphis, 1966.) When I first published the post the website commented on Paul looking like a walrus.

To see clear pictures of the 1966 replacement (who I think was our Paul's permanent replacement) check out the 2nd. and 10th. photos on page 2 -- NOT our Paul.

Anonymous said...

O.K. I checked the 7th photo on page 2 but the shot was taken at the moment his jaw came in contact with his neck which appears to give him a bigger chin. In the 2nd & 10th photos it is not clear to me what you see, he looks like Paul. It is the 1st photo (top) on page 2 that looks suspect to me.

I'm sure you are aware of photo tampering. It is easier to alter photos then movie film but not impossible to alter film as well.

I have seen many photos and vids of him and I rely more on the vids; in my opinion he was permanently replaced in late 66 with 67 being the year his replacement began making public appearances.

Also sometime in 66 the real Paul appears to have packed on a few pounds which slightly changed his look (see Paperback Writer vid) but nothing like the changes that took place in 67 that show a taller man with a larger head and a goofy smile.

paulumbo said...

I'm glad you agree that Paul was replaced. I think you think he may have made the last (1966) American tour; I kinda think he didn't. With all the backmasking about Paul that was going on in other British groups' songs it really appears that alot more people that what we might have thought had at least little bits of knowledge that Paul was in trouble. One of the sneering come-backs from people who want to believe that Paul was Paul throughout the history of The Beatles is that something as big as Paul being replaced (and replaced again as I and others have shown) couldn't possibly have been kept a secret for so long. But I believe that secrecy can take on a life of its own, so to speak, and the truth is yet to be told about that most famous of famous groups.

Anonymous said...

love your blog!

paulumbo said...

Thanks! I try to put as much information out as I find. My feeling is that the truth is out there to be found and that the silence connected with what happened to Paul (and the other Pauls and Johns)has taken on a life of its own. THAT has to be broken down, too.