Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Red Rocks Revisited: I Don't Think I'm Reaching

I was reading the F.B.I. files on The Beatles, which are informative, enlightening, and funny, sometimes.  Check them out at:  http://purl.access.gpo.gov/GPO/LPS97576

The relevant one to Paul research is part 9 which describes the FBI's investigation of a threatening letter sent apparently to the promoter of their August, 1964 concert at Red Rocks (spelled right here and wrong in the interview I quoted from in my immediately preceding post) Amphitheater.  Take a good look at the file.

There are all kinds of things going on in the incident.  The FBI said the promoter Vern Byers had an office at May D&F Company.  That company is a department store, and I could not find any mention that Byers ever had an office at the store.  The man had been in big band orchestras, owned night clubs and was a promoter.

The threatening letter itself was a classic crime fiction thing of cut out magazine letters pasted on plain white paper.  It began:  "I[f] you know what's . . ."  Interestingly, the first word read more like:  "I", so it read:  "I you . . .", and this interpretation of the letter was repeated several times in the FBI's investigation of it.

Remember, Magical Mystery Tour?  One of the Paul-is-dead clues was where the Paul replacement was sitting at a desk in a military uniform with a name plate in front that read:  "I you WAS."  (See photo on right.)

I'm speculating that there might have been a Denver connection to the Paul replaced/Paul dead mystery.

No comments: