Friday, November 29, 2013

Zappa and The Mothers', "Mother People"

Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention recorded a loosely satirical (as the Brits say) send-up of the B/Featles' Sgt. Pepper album.  (See the image of the album cover for We're Only In It For The Money on the right.)

Track #18 is a song called "Mother People".  You would think it's a song about Zappa's group, but Mother 
is never mentioned in the song.  (Hear the complete song at:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWFu7N4jknw  .)  Instead, Zappa and the boys sing:

     We are the other people  (x3)
     You're the other people, too.

And then in the most important passage of the song, they have one of the band do a John Lennon sound-alike to the lyrics:
     Let me take a minute and tell you my plan,
     Let me take a minute and tell who I am.
     If it doesn't show,
     Then you better know:
     I'm another person.

Frank Zappa knew.

No comments: