Saturday, October 15, 2011

Paul and John Were Trying To Tell Him Something

In my June 25, 2010 post I said, "If you look at enough pictures of Paul during that period [when The Beatles were filming Help in 1965], you realize that Paul was having a very hard time.  So I think that was when things were beginning to get serious and it culminated in his being ousted from the group in July, 1966.  My sense of it is that they were threatening to remove Paul before 1966 . . . ".

Here are some photos during the period.  [Notes:  all photos are from secondary sources. The second photo (of Paul at a press conference on the 1965 American tour) is "flopped":  backwards.]








I found confirmation of my theory in the book I talked about in my last post.  In Larry Kane's Ticket To Ride, he got to interview The Beatles in Nassau when they were filming the Caribbean scenes for Help.  He had the following exchange with John and Paul:

KANE:  How are you doing?
LENNON:  Well, look, all I can say, Larry, is, this thing's wide open.  Anything can happen, man.
KANE:  What is this 'everything can happen' business?
McCARTNEY:  Listen--everything is wide open, anything can happen, man.  It's a new phrase which sums everything up.
LENNON:  Now look, Larry, all I can say is, this thing is wide open--anything can happen, man.
McCARTNEY:  That's it.
LENNON:  Anything.
McCARTNEY:  See the way he said it?

They were obviously trying to clue Kane in on problems they were having.  It seems as though at the time Kane was confused about what they were hinting to him and he moved on to talk about another subject.  The question would be why Paul and John didn't alert the world about being harrassed, bullied and threatened and that is a question to be explored.

No comments: